Online Resources & Websites for GT Capstone Design
Quick reference guide for students and faculty
A lot of different websites are being used in capstone design right now. The purpose of this document is to list those that are being used, as well as their purpose, in order to avoid confusion.
This is the main capstone website for all capstone classes.
Purpose: This is the main online resource about the course for external sponsors, students and faculty.
This website is only used the first 2 weeks of the semester
Purpose: Online project marketplace for projects ideas, bids, etc.
- Online project marketplace – post project ideas, review available projects and submit bids for projects
- Again, only used the first 2 weeks of the semester
- Use this online form to request an inviation: http://goo.gl/ekpd99. Please follow the link provided on the invitation email to use Teamwork.com site.
Purpose: This is the Project Management Website for teams.
- Optional, but very helpful resource to keep the project on track and create Gantt charts
- HOW TO guide is located here: https://www.capstone.gatech.edue/wp-content/uploads/sites/127/2016/08/startup-guide-teamwork_2016.pdf
Purpose: This is the main website for everything related to the Capstone Design Expo:
- Online catalog of projects showcased at the expo with maps and expo related information
- Students use this link to register for the expo: expo.gatech.edu/registration (registration opens a month after the start of the semester)
Purpose: Online showcase of projects and individual student portfolios
- Optional, but students benefit from being able to share their online portfolio/resume with rich content
- Can also help connect with students from within and outside GT who share common project experience and career aspirations
- Helps GT maintain a repository and showcase of Capstone Design projects
- Spring 2014 gallery is here: seelio.com/g/gatech-expo-spring14
What is Seelio?
Seelio is an educational service and technology company that allows students to easily and beautifully showcase their works, projects and passions with professional online portfolios. Students can use Seelio to bring their resume to life, get feedback on their work, and show recruiters actual examples of what they have done.
Use this link to sign up and add yourself to the current Capstone Expo group!
Check out the uploaded projects from Spring 2014 Capstone Expo here!
Looking for more opportunities to showcase your great ideas? Below are some opportunities for undergraduates and graduates to submit their ideas and projects to outside competitions.
Website (a great resource to find interesting real-world project ideas for the course)
2016 TechSAge Competition
Enter by: January 15, 2016
Excavator Design Competition
Register by: February 5, 2016
2015 James Dyson Award
Submission deadline: July 2, 2015
2015 Lemelson-MIT National Collegiate Student Prize Competition
Submission deadline: January 30, 2015
2014 General Motors Innovation Challenge
Submission deadline: September 30, 2014
2014 ASME Designing for the Future Competition
Submission deadline: May 15, 2014
2014 GA/PDMA Student Paper Competition
Submission deadline: Fall 2013/Spring 2014 (Details to be announced)
2014 Student Manufacturing Design Competition
Submission deadline: March 21, 2014
FAQHow do I register for the Capstone Design Expo?
Judges can be professors or people from industry from any discipline. Teams must be able to convey their projects to people outside of their major. Each team will be judged on a 1 to 5 scale, 5 being the best, in the following categories:
- Quality of analysis
- Proof of function
- Good communication